Friday, December 21, 2012

Anniversary Trip

I know it's been forever since our anniversary trip to NY, but I am just now getting around to posting about it. Better late than never, right? I at least wanted to post this for my remembrance.

It was the trip of all trips and I am happy just thinking about it. Both Lee and I have seen quite a bit of the world in our short lifetimes. We just haven't been to many of those places together. We spent 6 weeks in Regensburg, Germany the summer before I started design school, and we honeymooned in Vancouver, BC. Besides those two places, we've pretty much been tied down in NC since we were married 3 years ago. This year we decided to wanted to go somewhere for our third anniversary. It didn't take us long to decide that that place was New York. Being designers and living in the small city we do, sometimes we just crave culture. Good restaurants, good shopping, tall buildings, people that walk places, public transportation, late nights. You catch my drift. You can only imagine our excitement. . .

It felt like months coming before the trip finally arrived. Our anniversary is in mid-August, but who in their right mind wants to go anywhere in the sweaty armpit-of-a-summer weather we get in the south. No one. The answer is no one. We decided it would be best to wait it out until temperatures got a little cooler. So the decision was the end of October.

If I ever go to NY again (dumb statement I know. I most definitely WILL go again), it will be in the fall. It was perfect. The weather was everything you'd want a fall day to be. Crispy air with a bit of sun. We walked miles everyday, rode the metro, and then walked some more. We walked through central park, coffee in hand. Spent an entire day at MoMA. Amazing! Shopped in Soho. Ate at too-many-to-mention amazing restaurants. Spent a few evenings at an amazing rooftop bar overlooking the lights and skyscrapers. We each bought a handmade hat at a little street market in Soho. Had coffee with 3 of my old art school friends. Saw Time Square at night. Visited Mood fabric store and met the famous Swatch! I even met Iris Apfel's sister (at least she looked like it). The list could go on, but I'll spare you the details.

Instead, I'll leave you with a few photos.

 Night 1!
Trying to catch a photo with Swatch. He hated the camera and ran away every time anyone pulled out their phone. Poor thing! This was the best we got.

Central Park at dusk. Breathtaking.
 Night 2!
 My hot handsome husband.

 Coffe at Stumptown in the Ace Hotel lobby. Perfect little morning stop.
 MoMA


 Buzzing with ideas.


 Grand Central Station
Night 3!
 La Columbe Capps. Delicious.
 Night 4!
Reunited with my darling friend Esther Maria. We went to The Village Vanguard Jazz club and then sat and talked at a little outdoor café until the wee hours.
2 hour breakfast wait at Clinton Street Baking Co. in the East Village
  We bought handmade hats and an awesome little street market in Soho.
 Reunion with old art school friends. It was so good to see their beautiful faces.

 I ate pig ear. . . and it might be the last time. (The Spotted Pig)
 Night 5!

 Trying to sneak a photo of United Colors. It was beautiful!


 Iris Apfel's sister ;)


Leaving town.

Hope you enjoyed. See you back here in January!

Bonté

No comments:

Post a Comment